viernes, 10 de noviembre de 2017

SKILL 12: LISTEN FOR EXPRESSIONS OF UNCERTAINTY AND SUGGESTION

Sometimes the second speaker shows uncertainty about what the first speaker said. Here are some expressions that might be used.

• I’m not so sure about that.

• As far as I know. As far as I can tell. (This implies that I may not know everything, so maybe I’m wrong.)

• …. isn’t it? ….didn’t he? ….won’t they?

For example:

(Woman) Didn’t the teacher say our test was next Monday?


(Man) I’m not so sure about that.







Expressions of uncertainty and suggestion are very common in short conversations. Look at the following example:

(Man) Do you know anything about the final examn physics?

(Woman) It's going to be rather difficult, isn't it?

Narrator: what does the woman mean?



possible answers:
 A. The exam is not going to be too difficult.
B. She is positive that it's going to be hard.
C. She thinks that it might be hard.
D.She has no idea about the exam.






The correct answer to this questions is letter C, because  the words Thinks and might express uncertainty. 

Here are some examples of suggestions: to agree with a suggestion, a speaker might use these expressions:
• Good idea! That’s an idea.
• Sounds good to me.
• Why not! (In this case, it’s not really a question.)
• By all means.
• Why didn’t I think of that? (Again, it’s not really a question.)
• That’s worth a try.
• Thanks, I’ll give it a try.



For example:
(Woman) Why don’t we go to Starbucks?


(Man) Why not!






If you want to learn more about this skill watch the following video: CLIC HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Welcome to my blog

Introduction: This blog has been created in order to help you to increase your knowledge, and also the correct comprehension about some ski...